I did this a few days ago, lost it, and just found it again today. More abstraction of the letter forms I've been using from Hans-Joachim Burgert's book.
This is fairly small, a sheet torn from a 6" x 8.5" book of Canson Mi-Tientes paper, done with Luna metallic watercolors and a #6 Mitchell nib, I think.
A little materials testing, a little more abstraction ...
Moving towards a two-dimensional , flat all-over pattern. I tried to keep the pen-angle, pen-width size, letter order and shape intact, abandoning word spacing and changing only the direction. Sometimes I broke the rules to preserve the texture, but sometimes the broken rules were inadvertent.
Now's it more work -- not work, but play, difficult play. And a nice change from the italic exemplar over which I slaved most of today. There is nothing like making an exemplar to point up all the ways my lettering falls short!
I'm tempted to start again with another set of formal letters, but I may move on.